Call David at 816-463-4003
ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC -- the Other Half of the Songwriting Coin
Welcome to the All About the Music thread, where you will find discussions ranging from songwriting process and musical influences to detailed posts about time signatures, chord progressions, and key changes. And anything in between.
This thread began when I was feeling more than a little lonely here on DCO, thinking I was the only music nerd out there who wanted to discuss all that technical stuff that seems so mysterious to so many fans about David's music. At which point I realized that there was, oddly enough, no thread in which to do that.
Any topic of discussion that relates to the music is welcome here, including that about other band members and their musical contributions to the recordings and/or performances, past, present, and future. Lyrical discussions are welcome as well, as long as, again, they relate to the music. (For more detailed lyrical analysis, I direct you to our sister thread, All About the Lyrics. Our other sister thread, All About the Voice, is also available for discussions about David's vocal instrument -- although cross-posting here from the latter thread is not frowned on, either.) And any question, however simple, is welcome. I don't think anyone claims to be an expert here; certainly not me -- but I think we can all learn from each other about what it is about David's music that fascinates, and entertains, and affects us all.
The various resources provided below are a compilation of the many informative links that have been provided by the denizens of this thread, as well as several informative blogs compiled by said denizens and other DCO members. If you find anything incorrect, or if credit must be given to an otherwise uncredited contribution, please post in this thread or PM me and I will make the necessary changes. Also, any further contributions to this list of resources are not only accepted but encouraged. Thank you to all who have done so already. This list could not have become nearly as comprehensive without the devoted assistance of many.
Deconstructing the Music
- Instrumental versions with the center pan vocal removed (thus allowing the instrumental and backup tracks to come through more clearly); highly, highly recommended to provide a unique perspective on the songs' creation:
JennaWN's YT channel contains all of DCTR, most of AH and THH, and some Axium songs
Kitunen's playlist contains all of TLM
- Would You Sing My Song? -- An archive of the original versions of all covers David has sung, and all known covers of David's songs by established artists.
- The Deconstruction Archive -- An archive of posts made on this thread explaining what was different about selected musical performances and interpretations by DC
- Links to all of Minstrel's structural analyses of TLM, compiled by QTTaquito
- This Song Is So Out of Key... -- Notes on key signatures for songs from DCTR, and others, both in the recordings and in live performance, by normanthecat
- Enan_2.4's blog about DC's vocal range
- Livejournal page with photographic history of David Cook's guitars
- Neal Tiemann's fan website describes guitars he used on the Declaration Tour
- Devin Bronson's video tour of the guitars he used on This Loud Tour
Basic Musical Theory References
- Basics of music theory
- Guide to musical scales
- Wkipedia explanation of time signatures
- Podcast and article about time signatures on Pandora
- Glossary of musical terms with audio examples
- What chords are in what key, and why? on chord structure for guitar playing, provided by minstrel.
- On the Tuning Awry -- an explanation of alternate guitar tunings, link provided by normanthecat
- Drum Musical Notation Tutorial
- Chordie.com, provided by JLG. Upon registering, you can get on the forums, some of which address music theory, guitar techniques, strumming, chord patterns and anything of interest to primarily guitarists.
- Instrumental References
- Guitars (discusses tuning and capos, etc.) and Electric guitar (includes a section on effects)
- Multiple guitar players
- Rhythm guitar, Lead guitar, and Bass guitar
- Guitar effects and Bass effects
- Guitar amplification and Bass amplification
- Guitar harmonics (science! math! and things Neal might be doing!), Distortion, Effects pedal, and Guitar tuning
- Anatomy of the Electric Guitar, as well as a useful picture, and an explanation of the anatomy of guitar pickups
- Guitar lesson on pinch harmonics and a video lesson on the same.
- Drum Kit
Thanks to KarenLE67 for compiling the Wikipedia links, and to Minstrel, Normanthecat, and Kaydeecee for the guitar anatomy and pinch harmonic links
David Cook Discography, Sheet Music, Lyrics, Chords, and More
- Discography and Libraries
- David Cook Unofficial Discography by QTTaquito provides all known credits to all known songs DC has written
- David Cook Unofficial Discography by Cowriter by QTTaquito (the companion discography to the one above)
- TLM Discography by FoolsApril64: a list of all songs on TLM, along with all other songs and known collaborations written in advance of that album, as well as all known writing and performance credits.
- Album Writing Credits for DCTR, including non-DC-written songs, by BethRiot
- Pre-Idol Video Library, compiled by LadyBirdSF, contains links to videos of all DC's pre-Idol music, from Axium to Analog Heart to those unpublished songs we actually know of.
- Axium Resource on LiveJournal, contains information on the band's history, as well as a discography and links to download various songs.
Official sheet music, lyrics, and chords
- Official sheet music for all songs from DCTR; search for "David Cook" (both hard copy songbook and all digital versions, as well as "guitar guru" lessons for CBTM and TOML)
- DCTR songbook on Amazon
- Actual, official chords for Light On with a handy lesson
Unofficial guitar tabs, chords, and lyrics sites for DC songs (thanks to Normanthecat & JLG for providing them) Some versions are undoubtedly better than others.
- Could you play me something new? -- Normanthecat has collected some of the better tabs that have been posted here into a blog
- Guitar Tabs 24-7.com
- Avalanche Guitar Tutorial
Piano lessons and covers, and sheet music for selected songs
- Permanent piano lesson -- Introduction
- Permanent piano lesson -- chorus & verse
- Permanent -- full piano cover
- Sheet music for aforesaid Permanent full piano cover
- Light On piano lesson
On songwriting, recording, and production
- Youtube video some smart aleck posted about his songwriting process (by Mitch Friedman)
Legal Aspects of Songwriting
- Ten Tips for Songwriters: Credits, Copyrights, and Coauthors
David About the Music: Comprehensive musical interviews and playlists (Thanks, David! We love this! Keep it up!)
- The Musical Interview Archive contains links to all articles containing pertinent musical information.
- David Cook -- Musical Likes and Influences -- A comprehensive list of songs that David has mentioned in various interviews or other media, compiled by G*Marie; an excellent resource, including the additional songs appended in the comments.
And, per request, Because at the end, it really is all about the music -- an open letter -- my blog post, which I hope DC reads at some point, informing him that while we'd love to talk about the music, we'd appreciate any nuggets of information he'd consider throwing our way as he sees fit.